Not all essential oils are created equal
Find out here what you didn’t know about essential oils
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are the aromatic compounds of a plant. Essential oils are either cold pressed from the rind of citrus fruits, or steam distilled from the seeds, roots, flowers, bark, stems, fruits and other parts of plants. In essence, they are like a fatty sack that sits on a plant and helps protect it against disease and predators. It can do the same for us and our immune system!
- Their constituents are small in molecular size and fat soluble, they easily and quickly penetrate cell membranes.
- Essential oils are physiologically active, easily recognized by and directly influence the body.
- They have the ability to support cells even when they are compromised, during times of poor nutrition or environmental threats, andthe potential to affect every cell of the body within twenty minutes, after which they are metabolized like other nutrients.
- They have no side effects, though there might be some unexpected side benefits. For example, lavender can soothe your skin after burning yourself, and also get the emotionally soothing and calming effect of the oil, reduce any anxiety induced by the shock of the burn, and bringing you back into the present moment.
How do they work?
- The smell of essential oils affects our emotions, memories and mood. Diffusing oils cleans and clears the air of pollutants, microbes and bacteria.
- The limbic system in our brain supports functions like smell and memory, which is why you can have extremely vivid memories if there is a scent that was associated with that moment in time. Use essential oils in this way to help you relax, support your airways, help aid your sleep, or keep you focused at work (peppermint and wild orange are a great combination to keep you on task!).
- Applying essential oils topically on your skin or in an oil bath, supports the physical level. Due to their molecular composition, they are easily absorbed by the skin, and move beyond the surface layer of the skin into the bloodstream, organs, joints and tissues. Apply them to inflamed areas, sore muscles, over the organs and on specific reflexology and acupressure points.
Only our bottles that have a ‘supplement’ label on them are safe to use internally, whilst bottles that just read ‘ingredients’ should only ever be used topically or aromatically.
Essential oils that are considered safe for internal use can be used as dietary supplements to support the proper functioning of your body; some oils have powerful antioxidant properties, others help to aid in cleansing, or support a healthy inflammatory response to support your cells.
Not all essential oils are created equal; anything less than pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils may not bring the desired results and can, in some cases, be extremely toxic. When it comes to supporting my health, and that of my family, friends and clients, only the best of the best will do.
dōTERRA essential oils are not only free from pesticides, herbicides, synthetics and other adulteration’s, but also sourced and researched by a company whose main vision it has always been to source and produce the most pure and potent essential oils.